Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Freedom from the invisible slavery

READ:  1 Kings 15, 16 ; Proverbs 1 ; John 8: 31- 59

SCRIPTURE:  John 8: 34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.
35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.
36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

OBSERVATION: No one wants to be a slave. Yet, we see old and modern forms of slavery across the world. Sadly, like the Jews who spoke with Jesus, many people are not even ready to accept that they are in a bondage. Here, Jesus does not say about (political, economical, and social slavery) being a slave of someone else. He says about being a slave to sin. This refers to a life of sin, not a particular sin. Slavery to sin is more painful than any other slavery. Because, it attacks our conscience and inner man. Those who are slaves to sin cannot be a part of God’s family. Many good people are trapped in sinful life by giving space to temptations of sin. Concerning bad habits, people used to say that when I want to get rid of this or If I decided, I could easily stop this. But year after year, there will be no change in them. Why? 

Jesus says that a person “who sins is a slave to sin.” A sinner has no free will to disobey his/her master, SIN. Of all the available drugs, no medicine could give freedom from sin. Jesus says that the son sets us free from sin. JESUS sets us free from the slavery of sin to be a servant of righteousness (Rom.6:22). How does Jesus set us free from sin?  He says, “you will know the TRUTH, and the truth will set you free” (v.32). Jesus is the truth. As we read God’s truth in the Bible, we know more about Jesus. He sets us free from any bondage He sets us free from any bondage of  sin. “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”

APPLICATION:  There are different types of sins and sinful temptations. Many people have difficulty in accepting their sinful life. I should not be like them. The Bible says, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:8, 9). Therefore, instead of deceiving myself with worldly lies, I will acknowledge and confess that I am a sinner who needs God’s forgiveness and purification. Then, Jesus sets me free from a sinful life, and gives me holiness and eternal life. Jesus helps me to live a sin free life when I keep his teaching and truth. I am a child of God. I am no longer a slave to sin.

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for your provision to experience the freedom from sins. Even today, you set people free. Lord Jesus, nothing is impossible for you. Help me to know more about you and the truth. Help me every moment to live in your holiness and righteousness. Amen

- Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

Day - 152

No comments: