Sunday, January 17, 2021

A Call to Follow Jesus

READ: Genesis 33, 34; Psalm 17; Matthew 9:1-17

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 9:12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

OBSERVATION: Today we read about Matthew's immediate obedience to Jesus' call to follow him. Without any second thought, he left his work and followed Jesus. Those days, tax-collectors had a bad reputation among the Jews. They were hated by the Jewish community for various reasons. Therefore, when the Pharisees saw Jesus with the tax-collectors, they questioned his disciples. But, Jesus calls their attention to a new dimension to look at the needy ones. And he asks his listeners to learn  the words of prophet Hosea (Hos.6:6). God desires in mercy than in our sacrifice. Here the word "mercy" implies our right conduct  with our neighbors and our faithfulness to God. Jesus' call is open to all. Those who consider themselves as righteous may not realize their need for God's mercy and salvation. But those who realize that I am a sinner will realize their spiritual need. We have the responsibility to share God's medicine for the human soul to the needy ones.

APPLICATION: When I follow Jesus, am I looking at the pros and cons of my decision, or simply following him day by day? While I accept his invitation to follow him, I need to realize that there are many people around me who need Jesus in their life. I must be willing to go to them and share God's mercy. I will not allow any popular opinions,  prejudices and biases of other people to hinder my decision to follow Jesus and to share God's love for the needy ones.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your love that saved me. I know that I am a sinner saved by your grace. Help me to understand the spiritual needs of others and to do my part wholeheartedly for those needs.  Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
17 January 2021

No comments: