Monday, January 11, 2021

A Spiritual Discipline of the Kingdom of God

 READ: Genesis 21, 22; Psalm 11; Matthew 6:1-18

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 6: 1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

OBSERVATION: Jesus draws our attention to the three most common things that are associated with one's religious life: alms giving, prayer, and fasting. He clearly warns us not to do these "acts of righteousness", like the hypocrites do. Instead of showing off to others for self glorification, Jesus wants us to seek the reward from heaven when we practice alms giving, prayer and fasting. Here, he is not saying "if you do", but he says "when you" give, pray, and fasting (v.3,5,16). He supposes that as a follower of Christ, we would do these things in our private and public life. So, he gives us his direction of how to do it.

APPLICATION: Am I trying to win the hearts of people who sees me, or  am I living and doing things for God? My life here is an opportunity to glorify God. When Jesus vehemently opposes  and warns against any hypocrisy, I should be diligent in exercising and practicing "the acts of righteousness" he mentions here. He says to me, "this is how you should...", so I will do exactly as he guides. 

PRAYER: Father God who sees my heart, thank you for the instruction to practice "the acts of righteousness." May your Holy Spirit  enable me to follow and remind me of Jesus' words. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
11 January 2021

No comments: