Friday, January 15, 2021

One touch of the master

 READ: Genesis 29, 30; Psalm 15; Matthew 8:1-17

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 8: 1 When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him. 2 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.” 3 Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man.  “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy. 

OBSERVATION: Ancient people were so afraid of skin diseases such as leprosy. According to Leviticus 13: 45-46, a person with leprosy is "unclean." S/he cannot live with a community, "must live alone." They were not allowed to come and meet even their family members. So their life was in such a miserable and unhygienic condition. Even a person who touched a leper also considered as "unclean." Therefore, this leper's move and his request for healing must have been unusual for the people around him. Jesus could have made him clean just by saying "Be clean." But, he "reached out his hand and touched the man." It is not surprising that the healing took place immediately, but the touch of the Master. As Spurgeon observes, like the leprosy separated a person from his/her community, sin separated us from God and made us unclean. Jesus is willing to touch any person who wants to "be clean." Are we? 

APPLICATION: People may ostracize me, and hate to come near  me, but Jesus never does it.  I must realize that sin separates me from God, and Jesus alone can purify me. Instead of hiding myself in darkness and isolation, I should be ready to come to Jesus. For he is willing to clean my life and to make me whole. I can experience the touch of the Master when I come to Jesus and ask him to make me clean. I can be confident in the truth that "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever", and " “He took up our  infirmities and bore our diseases.”

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you that you are willing to heal me. Thank you for the cross, thank you for your love.  Help me today  to experience your touch of love in my life. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
15 January 2021

No comments: