Sunday, January 10, 2021

The life of Lot teaches us a lot

 READ: Genesis 19, 20; Psalm 10; Matthew 5:33-48

SCRIPTURE: Genesis 19: 1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city...9  “Get out of our way,” they replied. “This fellow came here as a foreigner, and now he wants to play the judge! We’ll treat you worse than them.”...14... But his sons-in-law thought he was joking...16 When he (Lot) hesitated....18 But Lot said to them, “No, my lords, please! 

OBSERVATION: The beginning of Lot was so nice. Without knowing the destination, he voluntarily agreed to travel with his uncle Abram  when God called Abram to leave his place. However, as Lot increased in his possessions, he moved away from Abram to a better and watered place near Sodom. Genesis chapter 19 gives an idea that he lived inside the city of Sodom, even gained some prominence. However, it appears that morally he compromised his character, reputation, and position in order  to live among the people of Sodom. When he spoke of God's justice on Sodom, he became a laughing stock. He was still hesitant to move away from the city of Sodom. Instead of settling in the place God ordered him to live safely, again he asked permission to go to a city that was supposed to be destroyed along with Sodom. Although apostle Peter tells of Lot's distress and torment because of the lawlessness of the men of Sodom, evidently, he continued to live in the city till the dawn of God's judgement. In the end, we see the deplorable condition of his family. 

APPLICATION: There were many good people who had a good beginning in their walk with God,  but later  moved away from God, for various reasons. Lot's life is an example to understand how one's desire for earthly things could affect his fate. I need to walk with God every day. I should not turn back to look what I left behind for God and for his kingdom. Further, I will resist anything evil in the sight of God. If I start to adjust and to compromise with ungodly things, some day I too will be trapped in them. When God says to run away from certain things or people, my immediate response should be, "Yes, Lord."

Prayer : Father, thank you for your call to walk with you and to be blameless before you. Help me to walk with you every moment of my life. Thank you for the cross and for your grace that enable me to do so. Thank you for the Holy Spirit who guides me. Amen.

I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning back, No turning back
The world behind me, the cross before me
No turning back, No turning back

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
10 January 2021

No comments: