Thursday, January 14, 2021

The first step on the stairway of blessing

 READ: Genesis 27, 28; Psalm 14; Matthew 7:15-29

SCRIPTURE: 27:20 Isaac asked his son, “How did you find it so quickly, my son?” “The Lord your God gave me success,” he replied.

OBSERVATION:  Rebekah knew about God's favor and plan for the younger son (Gen.25:23), possibly Isaac also aware of it. However, Isaac wants to share his final blessing to his elder son and asks Esau to bring the food he desires. On the other hand, Rebekah prepares Jacob to deceive his father so that he can get the same blessing. Earlier,  Jacob deceitfully won the birthright from Esau by sharing some bread and stew, for Esau was careless about his birthright (25:29-34). We see the weakness of the entire family. Rebekah and Jacob were quick to find a way to deceive Isaac. Although they succeeded in their plan, it produced bitterness, fears, tears and sorrows. Notice Jacob's word, there is no personal connection between God and Jacob. So he says "The Lord your God." Later, the same Rebekah who told Jacob, "do what I say" to deceive Isaac, prepares him for the real blessing of the Lord by saying the same words (27:8, 13, 43). Interestingly, Jacob obeyed his father and mother (first time?) and set out his journey as they both instructed him. Esau also saw this obedience. More than that, God encountered Jacob during this journey of obedience and shared his words of promises. That is where Jacob's relationship with God started to become a personal one (28:12-22).

APPLICATION: How many times I impatiently tried to get God's blessing in my own way! Although I am sure of God's blessings and plan, there are times I failed to see God's timing and his way for my life. Instead of obeying and waiting for God and his time, I may use deceitful ways  by thinking that it is for a good cause. As the Bible says, God never lies (1 Sam.15:29). Although his promises and blessing are real and sure, I can receive them only by the journey of obedience and by walking with him all through my life. There is no shortcut to get God's blessings.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your words and your blessings. Forgive me, if I used any cunning ways in my life. Help me to walk with you in obedience and love. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
14 January 2021

No comments: