Friday, January 22, 2021

My God, Why God?

READ: Genesis 43, 44; Psalm 22; Matthew 11:20-30

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 22: 7 All those who see Me ridicule Me; They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, 8 “He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him; Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!”

OBSERVATION: David must have written this Psalm during one of his tough times when he felt abandoned and humiliated by others. This Psalm gives a picture of a righteous sufferer who trusts in God. When we read this Psalm, we see how aptly it  fits with the passion narrative of Jesus Christ. Spurgeon rightly says this is "The Psalm of the Cross." As David expresses his agony and his heart cry, he is not only describing his sorrowful state, but asks for God's help and says of what he would do after God's deliverance. People who see the sufferings of another person may despise and disdain him/her. BUT GOD always listens to the prayers of such sufferers and delivers them (Ps.22:24). And they will praise God in the end. "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven" Matthew 5:10).

APPLICATION: If I live a life that conforms with worldliness, people would welcome and accept me. But, when I start to live a committed life for God, I may face sufferings, mockery, and rejection from others. However, I can call upon my God for help. Though no one is with me, when I feel that I am abandoned by all, even when I feel like God also deserted me, I can pray to God. My weakness hinders me to see God's face and his nearness. But when I pray to God and ask his help, I can see him again and will be able to see his mighty acts of deliverance.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for being my God.  Thank you for your Love, thank you for the Cross. When I go through difficult times in my life, help me to ask "for what ", instead of asking you "Why God." You have a plan and purpose for my life. I will trust in you always. Nothing can separate me from my God. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
22 January 2021

No comments: