Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Jesus, who are you to me?

  READ: Exodus 1, 2; Psalm 26; Matthew 13:31-58

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 13:54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him.

OBSERVATION: Before Jesus' arrival to his hometown, the people of Nazareth might have heard of all the miracles he did, his command over the wind and sea, his powerful and authoritative teaching that amazed its hearers. However, when they had a direct opportunity to hear the teaching of Jesus, although they too "were amazed", they failed to see the great teacher who stood in front of them. Rather, they were looking at his family background, social status, and his family members. In other words, they were saying that we know this man who grew up in front of our own eyes, we know that which family he belongs i.e. a person from an ordinary family, and we know well even his family members and their names. So they may have concluded that there was nothing special in Jesus and his teaching. Instead of appreciating and accepting Jesus, they did the opposite and "they took offense at him."  Because they were looking at only his earthly connections, not his connection with the Father God. When the people failed to see Jesus who he really was, they were eventually not able to see Jesus' miracles among them.

APPLICATION: How I see and accept Jesus play a vital role in my life. I should not allow any prejudice or any wrong perception about Jesus that would affect the way I see him. People may say different things and present different pictures about Jesus. However, what the bible says about Jesus is important to me. If I do not accept and honor Jesus in my life, I cannot see his miracles in my life. Jesus is the amazing teacher to hear and to follow. I see Jesus as the bible says, not according to what others say.

PRAYER: Lord Jesus, when people say different things about you, help me to look at the scripture to understand and to believe what it says. Oh my savior, give me your strength to obey and to follow you always. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
26 January 2021

No comments: