Sunday, January 24, 2021

Heart matters

  READ: Genesis 47, 48; Psalm 24; Matthew 12:31-50

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 12:34 For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

OBSERVATION: In order to justify what we said, sometimes we say "God knows my heart." However, we need to remember that "a word spoken cannot be recalled." Here Jesus gives us a warning about the words we speak in our day to day life. Our words reflect what is stored up in our hearts. Empty words reveal the status of an empty heart and there is a great danger in it (Mt.12:43-45). On the other hand, a good word that comes out of a person's mouth has dual benefits: it saves the person who speaks, and can be useful for others who listen as well. The Bible has many verses that tell us about good words and bad words. The power of life and death is in our words(Proverbs 18:21). We have the option to choose it. We can confess about Jesus and can be saved (Rom.10:9-10). Like a good tree produces only good fruits, only good words come from a good heart. "Praise and cursing" cannot come from the mouth of the same person (James 3:9-12). 

APPLICATION: "Every word" I speak plays an important role in my life. It indicates that EVERYDAY I need to be careful about my words, whether I come before God or speak with other men/women. I need to store God's word in my heart to keep myself  away from any sin (Ps.119:11). Instead of speaking empty and meaningless words, Everyday I should speak good words that help other people to know about the good God I serve and his goodness. God fills my heart with his joy and peace  (Ps.4:7-8). So I will speak words that would give joy and peace to others. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the reminder about speaking good words. Speaking good words is an opportunity to speak what you have done for us. Help me to speak about the goodness of you and your words . May your Holy Spirit help me to speak the right word that touches/heals a heart. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
24 January 2021

No comments: