Thursday, January 21, 2021

Dealing with Your Doubts

 READ: Genesis 41, 42; Psalm 21; Matthew 11:1-19

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 11:2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”...6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

OBSERVATION: When John the Baptist was in prison, he may have wondered why should he spend his time in prison when Jesus the promised messiah was out there. Since the time he announced the arrival of the Messiah, he may had expectations of a royal rule from the Messiah that  he would save God's people from the rule of ungodly, like other Jews. So, when he heard about the deeds of Jesus, he may have wanted to clarify his doubts regarding Jesus whether he was truly the messiah. In his response to John the Baptist,  Jesus gently reminded him of the true mission of the Messiah as prophesized by the prophets, and asked John's disciples to report him what they witnessed in Jesus' life and ministry for the Kingdom of God. Instead of saying anything against John the Baptist, Jesus went on to give his testimony about him. Because, Jesus knew who John really was, although he was in prison.

APPLICATION: When I face injustice and go through a tough time surrounded by things contrary to my expectations, when I ask "Why Lord?",  doubts may come to my mind and raise questions about my faith and hope in God. However, when I experience doubts I should know whom to ask for my doubting questions.  Approaching Jesus is the best way to deal my doubts. When I come to Jesus, he helps to deal with my doubts and to increase my faith in him. Because he knows me fully, he knows how to help me as well. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for helping me to deal with my doubts. Whenever I feel depression and failures in my life, you help me to look at you and your works, instead of looking at my situations and my despicable state. Thank you for your love and care to deal with my doubts. Help me to increase my faith. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
21 January 2021

No comments: