Friday, February 5, 2021

A Law of love

READ: Exodus 21, 22; Psalm 36; Matthew 18:21-35.

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 18:21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”...“ 35. This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

OBSERVATION: We often wonder how long will I have to tolerate with this person, how many times should I be patience with him/her. Enough is enough! We think that there is a limit for our patience and forgiveness with a person who offends or acts against us. Here, Jesus talks about complete forgiveness, not just in words but from our heart. Some may think of the level of hurt and hate that they went through and find it difficult to forgive another person. In Jesus' time, according to the law of Moses, people had "the law of retaliation" (Exo.21:23-25), and taking revenge was considered as an appropriate action. But Jesus spoke of forgiveness. The forgiving heavenly father expects us to forgive others in the same way as we are forgiven.

APPLICATION: Sometimes, I do not feel comfortable to forgive others, and think that a person who did something wrong is deserved to get a punishment or justice. However, when I am in a need of God's forgiveness, I pray for God's mercy and love, and seek a complete forgiveness. The Loving God forgives me and expects me to do the same with others as well. I have no excuse to say no to forgive others. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your love and forgiveness. Whenever I find it difficult to forgive a person, help me to remind myself about your forgiving love. Give your strength to forgive others from my heart and to forget the past in order to show your love to the person whom I forgive. Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: