Monday, February 8, 2021

The brevity of life

 READ: Exodus 27, 28; Psalm 39; Matthew 20:1-16.

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 39:4 “Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. 5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure

OBSERVATION: David resolved to be quiet and silent in front of the wicked people, and he did so. However, he was not able to be silent when he came before God. While he meditated, the fire burned (v.3). Then he prays to God and asks a "rhetorical question" that requires no answer. As he asks this very question of life, he knows the answer and says it. Life is short, no one, "even those who seem secure" also cannot live long. There is an end to all. Everyone would accept it as true. But, how we live? Some people think and act as if they would live for thousand years in this earth. Without knowing or caring their end, they spend their energy, time in acquiring wealth and possessions. How often we hear and read about the fall or demise of mighty, wealthy, powerful people! The more we realize about the brevity of our life, the more we should plan to make a long lasting impact through our life.

APPLICATION: My life on this earth is short. But Jesus makes my life sweet and useful for others. Whatever I face, "my hope" is in God. For HE is the eternal one. Jesus called me to live  and to prepare for the eternal life he has stored for me. By living according to God's will and plan,  my short life can be beneficial to all, not just to me. Instead of focusing on temporary things, I will fix my eyes on eternity.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for helping me to understand the true nature and span of human life. Lord, you are the alpha and Omega. You know everything. So I submit my life in your hands. May my life be an aroma that spread your goodness and greatness.  Amen. 


- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: