Friday, February 26, 2021

Altaschith - Do Not Destroy

 READ: Leviticus 23, 24; Psalm 57; Mark 1:1-20

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 57:1 (For the director of music. To the tune of “Do Not Destroy.” Of David. A miktam. When he had fled from Saul into the cave.)  Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.

OBSERVATION: The title of Psalm 57 gets our attention today. This is a Psalm set to the tune of "Do Not Destroy" (altaschith  in Hebrew). In the book of  psalms,  four Psalms (Ps. 57,58,59, and 75) have the word altaschith, and six Psalms  (Ps.16, 56-60) have the word miktam in their title. The actual meaning of the word miktam is not yet known. However,  most of these psalms were written when David faced struggles from his enemies. These psalms reflect that how desperately the psalmist sought God and asked his  help, for a protection and  deliverance . As we read the context of this Psalm, we know that Saul pursued David and his men with 3000 choicest Israelite men to besiege and to kill him (1 Sam.24:2). 

David cried out to God for help and prepared his heart to praise God. Of course, his enemies were dangerous like lions and wild beasts. However, he was confident that God's love and faithfulness are incomparable and indescribable. So, he was able to sing a song to the tune of "Do Not Destroy." In the end, as we read, without any arms Saul went to the very cave where David was hiding with his men. Then it was David who spared the life of Saul. We too can sing a song like this, when we face unbearable problems and enemies, with  a confidence in God's love and his ability to deliver us.

 APPLICATION: Irrespective of the situations and trials of my life, I can always sing songs of praise, songs of hope. When I face the mountains, I can find a cave to take refuge, "until the disaster has passed." Under the shadow of the almighty God, without his permission, no one could ever touch a child of God. When my enemies "spread a net" and "dug a pit" for me, I should fix my eyes on God, and must prepare my heart to praise him. His love is great, his faithfulness reaches skies. what more do I need!

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for being my hiding place to protect me from my enemies, problems and the difficulties of my life. Thank you for faithfully sending your help that shows your love and power. Help me to seek you always with love and be faithful to you. Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: