Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Keep the Flame Burning

READ: Leviticus 5, 6; Psalm 48; Matthew 24:29-51

SCRIPTURE: Leviticus 6: 8 The Lord said to Moses...‘These are the regulations for the burnt offering: The burnt offering is to remain on the altar hearth throughout the night, till morning, and the fire must be kept burning on the altar. 12 The fire on the altar must be kept burning; it must not go out. Every morning the priest is to add firewood and arrange the burnt offering on the fire and burn the fat of the fellowship offerings on it. 13 The fire must be kept burning on the altar continuously; it must not go out.

OBSERVATION: Israelites offered burnt offerings as an act of voluntary worship, to make atonement with God, to express their devotion, commitment and absolute surrender to God. Whatever offered as a burnt offering should be burnt to ashes.   For this, keeping the fire on the altar burning  throughout the day and night is very important. Once the sacrifice is burnt completely, the burnt offering becomes " an aroma pleasing to the Lord." The priest has a day to day responsibility to add firewood and to remove the ashes. The burnt offering is a voluntary sacrifice not a mandatory one. However, when anyone brings it to the Lord there are regulations to offer it as "an aroma pleasing to the Lord."  

APPLICATION: Christ sacrificed his life on the cross to make atonement between man and God. Therefore, for atonement with God,  I do not need to offer anything other than accepting Jesus as my Lord and the Savior. Offering my life and my "SELF" to God is a voluntary act of worship. However, I need to keep the flame burning in order to keep my relationship intact with God. Then, my life will be an aroma pleasing to the Lord. Whatever that hinders the fire to flame, I should be ready to remove it from me. This is a continuous and everyday responsibility to keep my spiritual life alive.

PRAYER: Father God, I offer my life on the altar of sacrifice. Thank you for accepting me. Cleanse me, purify my thoughts everyday so that my life may become an aroma pleasing to you.  Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: