Thursday, February 18, 2021

A word for all

 READ: Leviticus 7, 8; Psalm 49; Matthew 25:1-30

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 49:16 Do not be overawed when others grow rich, when the splendor of their houses increases; 17 for they will take nothing with them when they die, their splendor will not descend with them.

OBSERVATION: Psalm 49 gives us an admonition about those who trust their wealth. Here the psalmist explains about what a person cannot buy with his wealth, and the fate of the life of those who trust in wealth. Further, in Ps 49:16, there is an advice for the reader. In the world we live, many of us think that money determines many things. To some extend, it may be true. But here we see a practical warning that money cannot save a person. With mere money nobody can redeem the life of another person. The psalmist expresses his hope that God can redeem his life.  Indeed Jesus gave his life as a ransom for all the people. So we need to put our trust in God, instead of keeping our eyes on wealth or putting our trust on any worldly riches. Jesus rightly said, "What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?" (Matthew 16:26).

 APPLICATION: Whether I have wealth or not is not a matter. But where I put my trust really matters till eternity. If I have wealth, I need proper understanding to use it wisely. If I do not have riches, I should not awe at those who have it. God is my trust and strength. Any of the worldly treasures cannot redeem a person. However, as the psalmist says, "But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead; he will surely take me to himself."

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the words of wisdom that we read today. Thank you for the price you paid on the cross, for my redemption and salvation. Help me to put my trust in you always and to store treasures in heaven.  Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: