Sunday, February 28, 2021

Which is easier?

 READ: Numbers 1, 2; Psalm 59; Mark 2:1-17

SCRIPTURE: Mark 2:6 Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, 7 “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” 8 Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things? 9 Which is easier: to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’?

OBSERVATION: When Jesus healed the paralytic man, he saw the faith of the men who took efforts to bring the sick man before him. It is interesting to see that the Gospel does not say anything that whether the men or the paralytic man requested Jesus for a healing. However, we read, "Jesus saw their faith." Not only that, he knew even  the thoughts of the men who were sitting there. The teachers of the law thought that Jesus was blaspheming God by saying that the paralyzed man's sins were forgiven. But, Jesus understood the real reason for the paralysis and said, "“Son, your sins are forgiven.” Not all sicknesses are caused by sins. However, as we see in the case of the paralyzed man, sins could cause sicknesses.  Jesus is the great physician who understands the root cause of human sickness. Whether it is physical or spiritual, he does what exactly a person needs for a healing. Through his question, Jesus was telling about his divinity to the teachers of the law. i.e. he was more than a miracle worker. 

 APPLICATION:  Jesus sees my faith when I do something for others who needs his touch. He knows even my thoughts! Whenever I think of the hindrances to bring people before Jesus, I should remember what the friends of the paralyzed man did for him. They made an opening by doing something abnormal. I must understand that Jesus concerns for a person's spiritual well being,  more than a healing. I should do what Jesus wants me to do.  That will be easier to do than anything else, and God will be glorified through me.

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for helping me to understand your power and your will. You have power to heal and to forgive sins. Help me to overcome any mental barriers that may prevent me to come before you and to bring people to you. It is easier for you! Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: