Thursday, February 25, 2021

Be a Disciple and a Disciple-maker

READ: Leviticus 21, 22; Psalm 56; Matthew 28:11-20

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 28:18 Then Jesus came to them (his disciples) and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

OBSERVATION: Jesus' last words in the Gospel of Matthew is known as "The Great Commission"  that Jesus gave to his disciples. Sadly, many Christians' knowledge about the great commission of Jesus is vague or they do not fully understand its implication. Some people think that the great commission means something that is not an easy task and difficult to do it. First of all, we are not called to follow a set of religious rules and customs. Rather, Jesus calls us to follow him to be his disciple. A true disciple would follow his/her master in every possible way. A disciple of Jesus should be a disciple-maker. Jesus' command to go is not to settle somewhere or to find a comfortable position. It is a call to go out and make disciples, baptize them, and teaching them to obey. Notice the given sequence here. One may think that how is it possible for me to fulfill this. Christ assures and promises of his presence to be with us always, "to the very end of the age." He has all authority in heaven and on earth. He is with us and empowers us to carry out his great commission during our life time.

 APPLICATION: An important pre-requisite to be a disciple-maker is to be a disciple of Jesus. The term disciple-maker does not refer a position or a job in any organization.  It is a life time commitment to follow Jesus and to invest in the life of others. The responsibility of a true disciple is to make his/her master and his teachings known to all people. Since Jesus is with me, I can go and do everything that he has commanded to me. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for your promise, "I am with you always." I can always experience your presence wherever I live and go.  Instead of looking at the challenges of the great commission, help me to have confident of your promise and to carry out my responsibility. Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: