Monday, August 16, 2021

Abba, Father! – A unique expression of LOVE

READ: Job 29,30; Psalms 46; Romans 8

SCRIPTURE: Romans 8: 15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba,[Aramaic for father] Father.”
16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

OBSERVATION: Across the world, childless couples adopt kids for various reasons, such as to become parents(to be a father or mother to a child), to show love and be loved, perpetuate their family name and legacy, overcome infertility, and for their own personal reasons. Whatever the reason, an adopted child is entitled to inherit the estate of its adopted parents and have equal rights, just like every legal heir. Nobody can be compelled to adopt a child. It is the choice of a couple to choose a child to become theirs.

Romans 8 tells that the Spirit who lives in us and leads us makes us children of God. The law of the spirit liberates from the law of sin and death that enslaves us (v.2). The Spirit we received never enslaves but enables us to call God “Abba Father.” Through adoption, we receive a unique and intimate relationship with God. The Spirit testifies to our loving relationship with God. No other religion offers such a special privilege to a believer to call God almighty, “Abba, Father.” Our relationship with God is not made of fear but love. The way a child loves/obeys/serves his/her parent is different from a slave serves his/her master. A child is motivated by love to honor its parent. But a slave works out of the fear of punishment or with an expectation of a reward. We have a unique relationship with him. God is not biased in choosing his children. All “who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God” (Rom.8:14). How do we express our love to God the Father?

APPLICATION: I rejoice in my relationship with God the Father. I am a child of God. I am no longer a slave to sin or fear. When I pray, when I need help, and when I want to express my love, I can call God “Abba, Father.” I need not fear and worry about anything. I have the responsibility to fulfill the will/desire of God. Holy Spirit enables me to do everything for God’s glory.

PRAYER: Abba, thank you for your love that embraces me. I can experience your love every day. Your love dispels all fear and gives me joy unspeakable and freedom from slavery. Father God,  whatever my situation may be, I am your child. Help me to realize it today and live accordingly. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 228

No comments: