Friday, August 27, 2021

Living in the present

READ: Ecclesiastes 7,8; Psalms 56; 1 Corinthians 2

SCRIPTURE: Ecclesiastes 7: 14 When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future.

OBSERVATION: Everybody wants to be happy and have a good life that gives them all they desire. Nobody would like to have a bad day in their life. However, our expectations and reality of life do not always go together. Ecclesiastes 7 presents some practical advice to handle good and bad. Without thinking about anything else, we can be happy, praise God, and sing songs when we have good times. Some Christians become overrighteous, and they missed the joy of celebrating the good days that the Lord gives them. However, we should be careful to avoid gratifying “our flesh with its passion and desires” while enjoying our good days. Our true joy comes from the Lord. “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit” (Rom.14:17).

We come across many ups and downs, joy and sorrow, good health and sickness, abundance and poverty in our lives. When we face a bad day or a thing, we find it hard to accept it. Ecclesiastes calls us to consider God’s sovereignty during such times. We should remember, whatever we may face, everything is under God’s control. Apostle Paul says, “We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Rom.8:28). Can we say everything is for good? We believe God has the power to do/change everything. When we say that all things are for good, we trust God’s promises and express our dependence on God. Moreover, we learn many things from our failures and mistakes than we learn from our successes. We know nothing about the future. But God knows it. Our times are in God’s hands (Ps.31:15). Jesus, in his Sermon on the Mount, encourages us not to worry about tomorrow but to focus on one day at a time (Mt.6:34). Each day of our life is a gift from God. God gives us the practical wisdom to use it for his glory.

APPLICATION:  I am in the hands of almighty God. God is with me all the time, both in good and bad times. So, whatever happens to me, I fear nothing. The good days I have in my life give me energy and refresh my soul. Going through bad days reminds me of my weaknesses and the need to depend on God and walk humbly before the Lord. I can trust God always.

PRAYER: Sovereign God, thank you for the practical wisdom you remind me today to apply in my daily life. Jesus, give me your wisdom to walk humbly before God. Holy Spirit, help me today to enjoy my life with you and live for God’s glory. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 238

No comments: