Thursday, August 12, 2021

My redeemer lives - The living hope for the future

READ: Job 19,20; Psalms 41; Romans 3

SCRIPTURE: Job 19: 25 I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

OBSERVATION: Human suffering raises many questions concerning God and human society. People struggle to understand why people, especially good people or innocent ones, suffer. Human response to suffering varies from person to person, depending on who goes through suffering. When Job was tested, his friends Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite came to comfort him. The recognized Job’s suffering was great. However, after seven days in silence, Job’s friends, one after another, started to accuse him; they said Job needed to repent from his sin. Job thought God was angry with him for reasons unknown to him. So, he wanted to argue with God. His friends’ accusations made Job tired. They were “worthless physicians” and “miserable comforters” to Job (Job.13:4; 16:2). Despite his friends’ allegations against him and his inability to understand why it had happened to him, Job never failed to speak about his faith and hope in God. Of course, he expressed his despair as well.

In Chapter 16, we see Job’s hope about his friend in heaven who is his advocate, intercessor, witness, the one who will plead with God “as a man pleads for his friend” (Job.16:19-21). In Job 19:25, we see Job’s bold confession of his faith and future hope. It implies that God is his redeemer. Notice the emphasis on the first-person language of the text in verse 27. Job says of his hope that God will defend him against all the false accusations. He was passionate to see it. We may not be able to understand our present crises. But, we have the living hope in Christ. Jesus Christ is our redeemer. He is our advocate who intercedes for us. The bible says, “let us hold firmly to the faith we profess…Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (Heb.4:14,16).

APPLICATION: Thousands of years ago, Job was able to see his redeemer. He was very confident about his faith and hope. Against all the odds, he openly confessed his faith and expressed his heart’s longing to see God the redeemer. Seeing God with the eyes of faith helped Job to endure the suffering patiently. If I go through any suffering in my life, I need to keep my eyes on God, though I do not understand why it had happened to me. When I see God, I receive the strength to overcome my present struggles and the hope for the future. My “present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed” (Rom.8:18). Do I see God as my redeemer?

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the eternal hope you have given me. Oh my redeemer Jesus, you are my hope, the hope of glory. Help me to be confident about the future you have for me and confess it boldly. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 223

No comments: