Saturday, August 14, 2021

Rejoicing in our sufferings

READ: Job 23,24; Psalms 43; Romans 5

SCRIPTURE: Romans 5: 3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.
5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has been given us.

OBSERVATION: The words rejoicing and suffering, in terms of meaning, are opposite to each other. Rejoicing in suffering may appear absurd and insane. Many Christians try to accept “rejoicing in suffering” as a Christian concept, whether they believe it or not. One may ask, “how is it possible?”, “If it is true that Christ suffered for me, why should I suffer?”

Roman 5 explains the benefits of being justified by faith. Our justification enables us to have peace with God and gives access to stand in the grace. It is not an emotional feeling but something we can experience in our new relationship with God. Before verse 3, Paul writes about rejoicing “in the hope of the glory of God.” This hope helps us to understand the purpose of our creation. Therefore, even our present suffering might have God’s purpose in our life. If we worry, we may not understand the purpose of why God allows suffering in our life. Rejoicing in our sufferings starts the process of experiencing the hope we have in Christ to know and learn godly wisdom. The sufferings we endure in our life teach and mold us to become mature people for the purpose God called us to be. So, by rejoicing in our sufferings, we can enjoy every moment of the process that helps us grow spiritually. Worldly hope may fail and disappoint us. The hope we have in Christ will never put us in shame because we have Holy Spirit with us. He has filled our hearts with God’s love. As Christians, the sufferings we may face cannot affect our joy in the Lord. Rejoicing in suffering is apostolic teaching, and it benefits us a lot (James 1:2-5; 1 Peter 4:12-16).

APPLICATION: Since I am justified by faith, I have peace with God through Jesus Christ. My faith has given me the access to stand in the grace of God. NOTHING can affect my relationship with God. I have peace within my heart. So, I do not worry about worldly sufferings. By rejoicing in my sufferings, I allow God to do his work in and through my life.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the grace, love, and peace you have given me. It reminds me that the triune God—Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit—is always with me. So, I can rejoice all the time, even in my sufferings. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 225

No comments: