Saturday, August 28, 2021

You are of Christ

READ: Ecclesiastes 9,10; Psalms 57; 1 Corinthians 3

SCRIPTURE: 1 Corinthians 3: 3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans?
4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?

OBSERVATION: In 1 Cor.3, Apostle Paul speaks about one of the crucial issues of the Corinth Church. The believers in the Corinth Church had jealousy and were quarreling with each other. They boasted about their affinity with great leaders of the early Church and argued with one another. Paul strongly rebukes them that they are behaving like worldly people and are immature. Of course, the believers in the Corinth Church are “sanctified in Christ” and “called to his (God’s) holy people.” Yet, they had divisions among them based on their preference of the church leaders that they wanted to follow. Paul called it an absurdity and made it clear that it was Christ who died for them, not the human leaders (1 Cor.1, 3). Paul reminded the Corinth believers that they are God’s temple and Holy Spirit lives among them. Paul admonished the Corinth believers that there should be no boasting about human leaders; Those leaders are mere men and “co-workers in God’s service.” On the other hand, all believers are of Christ just as Christ is of God.

People attack Christianity by asking questions like, “why you have so many divisions among you when you all believe in the same Bible.” In answering such questions, we must know what causes such divisions. We Christians should not allow any absurdities or worldly practices to divide us.  We should identify ourselves only with Christ, not with any fellow human beings. By doing this, we protect ourselves from human deception. We are of Christ. How wonderful it is!

APPLICATION: Although I am an ordinary human being, the God I worship is unique. He expects me not to follow any selfish and worldly behaviors. Instead of identifying myself with any human leaders whom I admire, I should follow Christ. I belong to Christ.

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for your call to live as your holy people. Lord, thank you for your sacrifice that united me with God and men. Holy Spirit, thank you for living within me. My God, protect me from all things that distract me away from you. Loving Lord, help me to live as your own. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 239

No comments: