Sunday, August 15, 2021

3 Steps to victory over sin

READ: Job 25,26; Psalms 44; Romans 6

SCRIPTURE: Romans 6: 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.
13 Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness.

OBSERVATION: Many Christians struggle to overcome the sinful temptations or thoughts they face in their daily life. Some Christians think it is ok to sin, for God knows our weaknesses; He is gracious to forgive our sins. Paul questions such thoughts and asks, “Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?” (Rom.6:1). He says a Christian who identified himself/herself with Jesus’ death and resurrection through baptism can no longer be a slave to sin. Paul suggests three steps for a victorious Christian life against sin. The first step for walking in victory over sin is to count ourselves “dead to sin but alive to God.” We must remind ourselves that when we first accept Jesus Christ, our old self, “was crucified” with him (v.6,11). The second step is our refusal against sin to control our body. We must resist sin and evil desires. We should not give even a foothold to sin so that it may creep into our lives and dominate us (Eph.4:27). The third and final step to a victorious life over sin is to offer ourselves to God. We must not allow our body parts to be instruments or weapons of wickedness. Instead, we need to offer each part of our body to God “as instruments of righteousness” (v.13). One may ask, to what extent could a person experience victory over sin? It depends on to what extend s/he applies these three steps in their life. Paul reminds us, “He (Jesus Christ) died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.” “In the same way,” we can live a victorious life against sin. We are no longer slaves to sin. We are “set free from sin” and are called to obey God and live under grace.

APPLICATION: I am not a slave to sin. I am saved by Christ, who sets me free from sin. I identify myself with Christ’s death and resurrection. My body parts are instruments of righteousness, not wickedness. To enjoy the new life God has given me, I should follow the three biblical instructions to overcome sin and live under grace. It is not something I must do only on the day I accept Jesus; I need to follow it daily.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your grace and the new life in Jesus Christ.   Lord, I offer my life to you; use my body parts as instruments of righteousness. Jesus, help me to live holy for your glory. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 226

No comments: