Sunday, August 22, 2021

The road to recovery from sin

READ: Job 39,40; Psalms 51; Romans 13

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 51: 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge.

OBSERVATION: Psalm 51 expresses the heart of a sinner who wants to reconcile with God. David is remembered as a man after God’s own heart. However, David’s sin of adultery with Bathsheba was a blot in his career (2 Sam.11). David endured the consequences of his sin throughout his life. As a theocratic king, David was accountable to God. Through prophet Nathan, God rebuked David. God did not turn a blind eye or justify his beloved servant’s sin. David, too, immediately repented and confessed his sin against the Lord.

The first step to finding a solution to any problem is to accept the existence of a problem that needs our attention. When God confronted David through Nathan, David readily confessed his sin instead of saying any excuses to justify his secret sin. Others may not have known his adultery until he openly admitted it. David confessed that he knew his transgressions and said it was always before him. When we do a deliberate sin, it always stands before/against us. Then, although David’s sin was against Uriah and Bathsheba, he acknowledged that he sinned against God. We should know that if we sin, it is categorically against the Lord. David violated the law of God (Exo.20:13-14,17). So he did not question God but accepted his verdict. When we go to God the Father with an open heart, he welcomes us with his grace. Let us remember what the Father did when the prodigal son returned and confessed, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son” (Luke 15:21). Likewise, God welcomes the sinner who repents and confesses his sins. When we confess our sins to God, we receive forgiveness and purification (1 Jn.1:9).

APPLICATION: The Bible says, “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires” (Gal.5:24). When I face sinful temptations, I should remember the long-term consequences of sin than the temporary pleasures it may give me. Holy Spirit helps me to walk in the light of the word of God.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for accepting me and offering your forgiveness. Lord, help me to be careful to allow nothing to stop our loving relationship.Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” Jesus, strengthen me to live a godly life and stand against sin. Amen.  

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 233

No comments: