Saturday, August 7, 2021

Pray, preach, and persuade people to accept Christ

READ: Job 9,10; Psalms 36; Acts 26

SCRIPTURE: Acts 26: 27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do.”
28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”
29 Paul replied, “Short time or long—I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”

OBSERVATION: In Acts 26, when Paul shared his testimony and ministry call and explained Jesus was the messiah, he received two different responses—the Roman Governor Festus thought Paul became insane,  King Agrippa thought Paul was trying to persuade him to accept Christ. Unlike the previous governor Felix who knew about the Christian faith, Festus did not know much about the belief in Jesus Christ. So, Paul told him about the historicity of Jesus’ death and resurrection. On the other hand, as a Jew, King Agrippa would have been aware of the messianic prophecies and the events related to the life of Jesus. Paul’s question to Agrippa was significant. He did not ask Agrippa whether he believes Jesus or not. Paul asked a question related to fundamental Jewish belief on prophets. Agrippa was aware that it was not simply a yes or no question. If he said yes, he should have believed in Jesus as the fulfillment of the prophecies. If he said no, then he would have faced Jews’ wrath. So Agrippa avoided such a situation by saying he could not become a Christian in such a short time. It doesn’t mean that Agrippa wanted to become a Christian, but he needed more time, or it was merely an excuse.  Of course, nobody would accept Jesus Christ just because somebody preached or persuaded them about believing Christ.

Paul’s response to King Agrippa tells us a lot about Paul’s passion for souls. Further, it reminds us to pray for all people to become the followers of Christ, preach the Gospel, and persuade them to accept Jesus Christ. When we do this, we can confidently say that our faith in Jesus Christ is based on historical events, not on fables.

APPLICATION: My faith in Jesus Christ is not built on “cleverly devised stories.” Jesus’ life, death, and crucifixion are well-attested events in history. I should use my time in helping others to know about Jesus. I need to pray for all the people who have not yet heard of Jesus. Then, I should preach the Gospel and invite or persuade them to accept Lord Jesus. I cannot/should not compel anyone to become Christian. My life should be a testimony for others to know Jesus Christ.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for sending your Son Jesus to save me. I pray for “all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” Jesus, strengthen me to do my part in sharing the Gospel with all people. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 218

No comments: