Friday, August 6, 2021

When others hate you without cause…

READ: Job 7, 8; Psalms 35; Acts 25

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 35: 28 My tongue will proclaim your righteousness, your praises all day long.

OBSERVATION: Psalm 35 is one of the “Imprecatory Psalms” within the book of Psalms. In Psalm 35, David pleads to God to defend him from those who attack him without reason. The verses in the psalm suggest that David may have written this psalm when Saul chased to kill him. David tells about the types of attacks that he faced from those who fought against him: physical attack (v.1-10), personal attack (v.11-18), and verbal attack (false accusations, v.19-29). These unmotivated attacks caused an illness (v.13) and distress (v.26) in David’s life. Instead of retaliating against the malicious attacks, David invokes God to give due justice to the attackers. At the end of each of his appeals, David vows to praise God (v.9,18, 28). Each time David pleads to God concerning his internal and external struggles and troubles, he ends with a strong emphasis on praising God. Instead of giving answers to the false accusations against him, David wants to speak of God’s righteousness and praise him all day long.

What will be our reaction or response if we are mistreated or falsely accused without cause? We may want to prove our innocence or give a detailed explanation to prove the accusations are wrong. However, it is difficult for us to handle all the issues and respond to each accusation we face in our lives. We need to let God fight our battles and defend us instead of trying to do something to prove or defend ourselves. Like David, we need to focus on God and praise him in times of our needs, problems, and worries. When we praise and worship God, we understand that our God is bigger than any of the problems we may face in our life.

APPLICATION: When I face false accusations, unmotivated attacks that affect my life, I must go to God and ask him to defend and do justice. I should not waste my energy giving explanations or taking revenge against those who are against me. Instead of reacting to the problems I face, I need to seek God and his righteousness. Speaking and thinking about all the false accusations or attacks make me tired. But, praising God refreshes my soul and gives me the strength to stand firm for the Lord. I can praise the Lord all day long.

PRAYER: Father God, you are my savior; you are the defender of the weak. I praise you for all the wonderful works you have done in my life so far. Lord Jesus, when others hate me without reason, help me to remember you and your words. My God, you bless my enemies. Give your Spirit to praise you all day long. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 217

No comments: