Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Picked me up from the miry clay, put me on the rock to stay

READ: Job 17,18; Psalms 40; Romans 2

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 40: 1 I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.

OBSERVATION:  In Psalm 40, we see David’s prayer for help when troubles without count surrounded him (v.12). As he “waited patiently for the Lord,” he remembers all the answers and deliverances God has given him in the past. We do not know when David wrote this psalm. But we do know that David went through a lot of overwhelming problems in his life. Standing in a slimy clay pit is always tricky and dangerous as it would have quicksand at the bottom. In verse 2, David metaphorically explains how the Lord saved and gave him the strength to overcome his difficult moments when he may have struggled even to stand. When the Lord saves a person, he places him/her on a rock, a firm place to stand. Then, David expresses his hope that his song of praise will make others have faith and trust in God. Of course, The number of troubles surrounding him was numerous; they affected his vision and heart (v.12). But David first recalls God’s uncountable and unspeakable wonders (v.5) before he asks God’s help. David’s troubles and enemies are more. But God is his help and deliverer. David praised God and sang new songs when he faced troubles and struggles. He was not looking at his problems, but he waited on God and remembered God’s mercies in the past as he prayed for God’s help.

When we need urgent help or face an unexpected problem, we find ourselves restless to wait on God. We may ask, “Why me, God?” At times, we forget how the Lord helped us and led us miraculously. By worrying and always looking at our problems, we would become distressed and weak. It will affect our health. When we remember how God’s helped us overcome similar or severe problems in the past; we find the strength to face our present situation. Our trust in God never goes in vain. He is our helper and deliverer. God answers our every prayer.

APPLICATION: When I encounter so many struggles that make my legs weak, I need to recall God’s past help and deliverance and remind myself that this too will pass soon. God will lift me out from the miry clay where I struggle to stand. He strengthens me to stand on a firm rock. Jesus is the Rock. Every trouble I face is a time to sing a new song to praise God. So I can wait patiently for the Lord to help me.

PRAYER: My God, thank you for all the wonders you have done in my life. Jesus, thank you for being the rock where I stand. Holy Spirit, help me to wait for the Lord patiently, today and every day. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 222

No comments: