Tuesday, August 31, 2021

You are not your own

READ: Song of Songs 3,4; Psalms 60; 1 Corinthians 6

SCRIPTURE: 1 Corinthians 6: 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;
20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

OBSERVATION: “Don’t reside in a place where there is no temple” is an Indian proverb. In earlier days, temples played a significant role in cultural practice and social living. Corinth was an important trade center known for its temples, especially the temple of Aphrodite, the goddess of love, sensual pleasures, and procreation. Sexual immorality and religious or sacred prostitution were prevalent in Corinth. Some of the moral and ethical problems that Paul addresses in his epistle to Corinthians show the impact of Corinth’s culture on the church.

Some believers of Corinth Church lived a sinful life in the past. However, when they accepted Jesus Christ, they were “washed,” “sanctified,” “justified” (v.9-11), and became holy to the Lord. Even after becoming Christians, disputes, lawsuits, and sexual immorality existed among the believers in the Corinth Church. It seems they justified their wrong actions (v.12). So, Paul tells them that each believer is for the Lord and their bodies are “members of Christ” (v.15). Christians should not continue their sinful life; they must continue to “flee from sexual immorality.” Paul emphasizes two reasons why Corinth believers stop sinning against their own bodies: Each Christian’s body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in them. Every Christian belongs to the Lord Jesus, who bought them at a price with his precious blood. So, Paul advises the believers to honor God with their bodies. Let us think: How shall we honor God through our bodies?  

APPLICATION: Jesus promised that when I love him and obey his teaching, he and God the Father will come and dwell with me (Jn.14:23). Here, the Bible says of Holy Spirit who lives in me. All-present God lives within me! If so, how much more should I be careful not to defile my body to live a pleasing life for God. My body and I belong to God. Hence, whatever I do, I should do it all for the glory of God. I will not use my body (parts) to sin against God but will use it to honor God in every possible way.

PRAYER: Holy God, thank you for accepting me as your own and living in me. Lord, help me honor you as my Lord God in my spirit, soul, and body. Jesus, give me your wisdom to use my body to praise, worship, and honor God every day. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 242

No comments: