Tuesday, August 3, 2021

The man God extols

READ: Job 1, 2; Psalms 32; Acts 23:1-22

SCRIPTURE: Job 1: 8 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”
9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied.

OBSERVATION: The book of Job is the oldest book of the Old Testament. Though there is no detail of authorship of the book of Job, scholars consider it might be written during or before the time of Abraham. Many Christians are afraid or reluctant to read the book of Job due to the sudden and disastrous events that happened to Job. (I encourage everyone to read the book of Job to understand biblical wisdom on various issues). It is a question for many people that although Job lived an exemplified godly life that every human wants to have,  why God allowed Satan to inflict harm in Job’s life. In Job1:8, we see how God applauds Job. However, Satan, who accuses godly people before our God day and night, blamed Job. He charged that Job fears God for selfish reasons. Satan either entices people to sin against God or blames them that their faith in God has selfish motives. However, Job’s faith in God was unwavering even after he lost everything he had. It proved Satan’s cynical accusation was false and Job’s righteousness was indeed genuine. The life of Job reminds us that we can trust God even when the worst of worst things happen to us. It doesn’t mean that we all will have such a catastrophe in our lives. Instead, everything, even Satan, is under God’s control. We may not immediately know why God allows harmful things in our lives. We will know God’s purposes when we come out of such difficult times. Even when he was tempted to abandon his integrity and curse God, “Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.” Thousands of years ago, if Job can remain strong in his faith in God, how much stronger can we be for the Lord. As Paul says, “our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us” (Rom.8:18). No human helped Job during his sufferings. But, we have Jesus who is able to help us in our sufferings and temptations (Heb.2:18). God’s wisdom will be revealed through our lives in HIS time.

APPLICATION: I should not seek God just for selfish reasons or material blessings. Instead, my relationship with God should be based on Love. I love him because he first loved me (1 Jn.4:19). Whatever happens to me, I will not renounce my faith and trust in God. Standing firm in the faith, I will resist the devil (1 Peter 5:9). “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial” (James 1:12). God is the greatest blessing for those who love him.

PRAYER: Father God, I praise you for all things are under your control. I am under your protection. Satan cannot touch me without your permission. Lord Jesus, give me your strength to remain strong in my faith when facing trials and temptations. Help me to stand against the devil’s schemes and use the sword of the Spirit correctly. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 214

No comments: