Wednesday, March 24, 2021

A beautiful thing for Jesus

READ: Deuteronomy 13, 14; Psalm 83; Mark 14:1-31

SCRIPTURE: Mark 14: 6 “Leave her alone,” said Jesus. “Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me.
7 The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me.
8 She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. 

OBSERVATION: Here we see Jesus speaks for a woman who poured an expensive oil on his head. People were "indignant" and "rebuked her harshly,"  for they (according to John 12:4-6, says, it was Judas  Iscariot) gave more importance to the value of the alabaster jar (v.4,5). It was worth about a year salary of a daily worker. Those days, if somebody had that expensive alabaster jar, they would have considered it as a symbol of pride. Jesus accepted her act of gratitude. Jesus never expects us to offer and do things beyond our capacity. Like he did to the woman, he recognizes when we do what we could do (v.8). Jesus appreciated the woman's act of sacrifice  by saying that it will be remembered wherever the Gospel goes. Right after this incident, we read that Judas Iscariot voluntarily went to the chief priests and agreed to betray Jesus, for just 30 pieces of silver (i.e. approx. four months salary of a daily worker). Judas must have counted the thirty pieces of silver were more worth than Jesus. Thus, he did what he could do. How bad! On the other hand, We read that the woman broke the expensive jar and poured the perfume on Jesus' head. Everyone in the room must had felt the aroma of her act. But their hearts were not ready to accept it. However, Jesus told them that it was an early preparation for his burial. How beautiful it was! 

APPLICATION: What is the best thing I could offer to Jesus! I may give offerings, send money to missions. But Jesus sees my heart that gives, not the material I give to him. When everyone around the woman were thinking about the price tag of the alabaster jar, Jesus saw her heart that gave the perfume. For Jesus, nothing is precious than a person's heart. He accepts and appreciates me when I give my heart to him. When I offer the sacrifice of my heart to Jesus, the aroma would spread and make the place pleasant for all.  How beautiful it would be! 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for everything you do in my life. You have done countless beautiful things in my life. Lord, thank you for your love. Help me to express the love I have for you in my life everyday. Amen

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: