Friday, March 19, 2021

Hear, O Israel!

READ: Deuteronomy 5, 6; Psalm 79; Mark 12:1-27

SCRIPTURE: Deuteronomy 6: 4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.
7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 

OBSERVATION: Deuteronomy 6:4-9 plays an important role in the Jewish morning and evening prayers. It is a part of Jewish faith declaration of their belief in one God, which is known as "The Shema." Deut. 6:4 emphasizes God's unity (i.e. he is one) and God's uniqueness (i.e. there is no equal to him). While the people who lived around the Israelites were into idol worship and had polytheistic beliefs, Israelites were to express their allegiance to God alone.  It is interesting to see the Hebrew word echad that is used to express the unity of God. The word Echad refers the uniplurality of God, not the absolute oneness. From Deut.6:5 onwards, an instruction for a child of God is given to show his faith in action, both internally and outwardly. To remember in times of need and to meditate on God, we should keep God's commandments in our heart. It is very important to pass on the knowledge of God to the next generation so that they too can know God. Whatever we do, whether we sit or walk, lie down or get up, we can/should talk about God's words. However, it should be done  with Love, not as a ritual.

APPLICATION: When I hear God's word, I understand who my God is! He is the LORD! He sovereigns over everything. There is none like him. When I know about God, my love for him is a natural expression of my heart, soul and hands. When I keep God's words in my heart, it saves me from many dangers that could come along in my life. No matter what I do or where I am, I can think and talk about the Word of God. I will do it everyday.

PRAYER: Almighty God, thank you for revealing  me who you are! My God and my Lord, there is none like you. My redeemer, help me to love you wholeheartedly and to express my love in actions, not just in words.  Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: