Tuesday, March 9, 2021

A heart that understands God

 READ: Numbers 19, 20; Psalm 68; Mark 6:30-56

SCRIPTURE: Mark 6: 47 Later that night, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land.48 He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. Shortly before dawn he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, 49 but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, 50 because they all saw him and were terrified. 51 Then he (Jesus) climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They (his disciples) were completely amazed, 52 for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.

OBSERVATION: When Jesus took his disciples to a solitary place for a rest, a large crowd was able to reach the place by walking on foot even before the boat that carried Jesus and his disciples could reach the place(v.32,33). Scholars suggest that a strong wind might have delayed the sailing of the boat. After a miraculous feeding, Jesus went alone to pray,  and he sent his disciples to Bethsaida. After a time of  prayer, later that night he was able to see his disciples' difficulty of passing through the heavy winds in the middle of the lake, as he was standing on the shore. Then, the disciples saw that Jesus was walking on the lake, and that as if  he was about to pass their boat by walking on the water. Seeing Jesus, they became terrified and thought it was a ghost. But Jesus comforted them by saying, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” As soon as he got into the boat, the wind also ceased.  The crowd went ahead of the boat  by walking as the people were eager to listen the words of Jesus. But, Jesus walked on the lake and was about to pass by them because he saw their struggles in rowing the boat against the wind. Jesus  came to help his disciples.  Although the disciples were amazed, they did not “understood about the loaves.” They comfortably forgot his miraculous powers i.e. the same Jesus who miraculously fed a large crowd can walk even on waters.

APPLICATION: Sometimes, when I am passing through difficult times in my life, I may fail to notice Jesus' presence and his help to rescue me. I need to remind myself that Jesus cares for me and he would never leave me alone. Surely he has done many great things in the past. If that is true, he is able to help me anytime, anywhere. I should not forget what the Lord has done to me. If he is able to provide food for 5000 men, he is able to walk on the water as well. If he could help me in the past, surely he is able to help me now and thereafter. This seems to be a simple truth, but many people haven't accepted it because of their hardened heart. I should not be the one among them. 

PRAYER:  Jesus, thank you for your love and concern for me. You always walk with me. When I am not able to walk, you carry me in your hands. Help me to understand your love, power. Amen.   

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: