Thursday, March 18, 2021

The fate of a fruitless tree

READ: Deuteronomy 1, 2; Psalm 77; Mark 11:1-19

SCRIPTURE: Mark 11: 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he (Jesus) went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.
14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

OBSERVATION: Jesus' searching for fruits in a fig tree was a prelude to his temple visit  at Jerusalem. Usually, a fig tree with full of leaves would have many ripened fruits. Here, this tree is an an exception. In distance it appeared as a tree with full of fruits. However, when Jesus came near to the tree, he saw "nothing but leaves." He must had been disappointed at the fruitlessness of the tree with full of leaves. His disciples heard Jesus' words about the tree. In the Old Testament, prophets compared Israelites to fig tree, when they prophesized about God's judgement and punishment (for example: Jer.8:13, Hos.9:10). When Jesus entered the Jerusalem temple, he saw the lack of sanctity of the place. Instead of allowing the gentiles to worship the God almighty, Jews  had  turned a place of worship and prayer  into a business center. History tells us how Jesus' prophecy about Jerusalem fulfilled in later years. 

APPLICATION:  I may be concerned about how I show myself to others in outward appearance.  But, Jesus wants to see me as a fruit-bearing person. When Jesus finds nothing but leaves i.e. no fruit in me, I give disappointment to him. To be a fruitful person, I need to meditate the word of God and to live accordingly (Ps.1). As a disciple of Jesus, I listen to what Jesus told about the fig tree.  And I will be careful about not about the leaves, but fruits. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for the reminder that I must be fruitful to you. Help me to live as your faithful follower to show your love and share a fruitful life with others. Help me to abide in you to yield more fruits for you. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: