Thursday, March 11, 2021

No enchantment and no divination against Israel

READ: Numbers 23, 24; Psalm 70; Mark 7:24-37

SCRIPTURE: Numbers 23: 23 There is no divination against Jacob, no evil omens against Israel. It will now be said of Jacob and of Israel, ‘See what God has done!’

OBSERVATION: Numbers 23:23 is an easy to memorize its location and one of the oft-quoted verses in our Christian prayers. When we read this verse, we are indeed  encouraged about the the protection we have from any evil. The reason for this protection  is mentioned in verse 21, "The Lord their God is with them." Because of this divine protection, Balaam who was hired by Balak to curse the Israelites was not able to speak anything against the Israelites. Rather he blessed the people of God. This story reminds that God can speak even through a donkey or a sorcerer. Notice the words Balaam uses to describe about the Israelites. The God who knows the failures and weaknesses of his people would never give up them in front of others. Consequently, Balak refused to pay anything to Balaam, as agreed before. However, when the people of God moved away from God and turned to idol worship as we read in Num.25, their protection was gone and a plague caused the death of 24000 Israelites. This verse reminds us that under God's care no one ever even could touch us with evil intentions.

APPLICATION: It is so easy to say that there is no divination or no evil omens against me. However, to make the verse applicable and true to my life, I need to live with God. When I live with God, I should live according to the word of God. There is no other alternative way! Just because I have a Christian name does not mean that I have a divine protection. My Christian name would indicate only that I am born in a Christian family. How I live with God would enable me to speak about my divine protection. When I live with God and under his protection, other people will testify that "See what God has done!" Then, my life would glorify God. 

PRAYER:  Father God, when the enemies of the Gospel come directly against me, they cannot do anything because of your protection. Thank you for your love and protection. When the enemy comes with evil plans to entice me in order to make my feet stumble and go away from you, give your wisdom to discern and to be determined to stand against him. Lord, I need your strength. Help me to stand against the evil. Amen.   

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: