Saturday, March 13, 2021

A challenge to follow Jesus

 READ: Numbers 27, 28; Psalm 72; Mark 8:22-37

SCRIPTURE: Mark 8: 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

OBSERVATION: In Mark 8, we see that Jesus asked these questions when he was saying about what it is to be a disciple of Jesus. In the history of the world, we read about many great personalities who sought after the worldly things and fame. Although they got what their heart  desired for them, many of them confessed that they did not have peace and satisfaction. For example, it is said that Alexander the great who conquered many countries during his time had a last wish  to keep his empty hand hanging out of his coffin. On the other hand, in the Church history, we have a multitude of faith heroes who risked their life but achieved great heights and changed the world upside down through their sacrificial living and committed life to the Lord Jesus. Even gaining the whole world would not be sufficient enough to redeem one's soul. How precious is our soul! Nothing in the world is equivalent to the price of our soul.  Jesus paid the price by sacrificing himself on the cross, as a ransom for our soul. He calls everyone who wants to follow him to  take up the cross and follow him. Jesus gives us the joy and peace that we cannot get from any worldly things. Importantly, remember that what Jesus gives is is not a temporal but the eternal. 

APPLICATION: As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I need to be aware of the requirement to follow Jesus Christ.  Lord Jesus wants his disciples to deny themselves and to take up their cross and to follow him. Going after the worldly things may give me some temporal relief and pleasures. However, just for the sake of such temporal pleasures and gains, I should not compromise my call and commitment to the Lord. I need to give priority to God and his desires rather than my desires. Sacrificing my self is  what the cross I need to carry everyday. Although I may go through difficulties, trials, and sufferings for the sake of Cross, they are nothing in front of the eternity that God assured me. "The cross before me, the world behind me! No turning back, no turning back."

PRAYER:  Jesus, thank you for reminding me about your heart desire to follow you. Help me to set my priorities in godly order. Lord, give me your strength to deny my self and to carry my cross. After all, I consider that it is a privilege to be a disciple of Jesus than following worldly things. Amen.   

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: