Sunday, March 7, 2021

A touch of faith

 READ: Numbers 15, 16; Psalm 66; Mark 5:21-43

SCRIPTURE: Mark 5:30 At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?”
31 “You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ”
32 But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. 

OBSERVATION: In Mark 5:21-43, we read about remarkable healing that took place as Jesus was on his way to the house of Jairus to heal his dying daughter. As we read in the Gospel, the (unknown) woman tried many of the available treatments of that time yet there was no healing and no hope. Instead of getting any improvement in her health, her condition deteriorated day by day.  Everything in life must have been hopeless for her.  However, when she heard about Jesus, her faith caused her to think, "“If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” She believed that her years of disappointment and agony would come to an end when she touches  Jesus' clothes. According to the law, she was an unclean woman and if she touched anyone or anyone who touched her also would become unclean (Lev.15).  Against the pressing crowd that was around Jesus, She determined to touch his cloak. St Augustine beautifully says of this incident, "Flesh presses; faith touches." As soon as she touched Jesus, she was healed instantly. She might have thought that nobody would notice her act of faith. But Jesus immediately turned back and asked a question.  Notice the difference between the question of Jesus and the answer of his disciples. Jesus mentioned exactly what she did. He was looking around to find her. He made the woman's faith and healing known to the people. Thus, he pronounced that she was no longer unclean but a woman who was freed from suffering.  

APPLICATION: It is not about how many years I suffer from a particular disease, or a struggle, or a temptation, or a sin. Rather, how soon I come to Jesus with a faith that I can be delivered by his touch. Jesus sees my faith and my believing heart. Faith yields results that are far beyond the reach of humanity. At times, I think that even the best of facilities and technologies gives no relief to my pains and worries. But Jesus never fails. As soon as I come near Jesus, I see all my indescribable mountains melts away before him. He honors my faith and makes it known to people. Because of him, I am freed and saved from all my sorrows. I have every reason to praise him and lift him up, no reason to reject or to disbelieve him. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you that even today you are healing people from many incurable diseases and troubles. Now I come to you, just as I am. Lord, Make my life complete and meaningful, and use it for your glory. I surrender all myself to you.   Amen.   

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

Day 66

No comments: