Monday, March 15, 2021

You are the SALT

 READ: Numbers 31, 32; Psalm 74; Mark 9:30-50

SCRIPTURE: Mark 9:50 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other.”

OBSERVATION: As we all know, salt is used for various purposes such as preservation, seasoning, cosmetics and so on. Salt is an essential item for us, and all houses would have salt in kitchen or/and dining table. If impure things are mixed with salt, it is easy to segregate the salt from it. We can retain its former taste, saltiness. What if the salt loses its saltiness? what is the use of it? If there is no saltiness in salt, even if you add plenty of salt in a food or for any other purposes, it would have no value and no result. Here, let us consider the context Jesus spoke about salt and saltiness. Further, in his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, "You are the salt of the earth" (Mt.5:13). A disciple of Jesus Christ is the salt of this world, seasoning and enriching the lives of many people. Like a real salt does not lose its saltiness, a disciple of Jesus would never lose his/her usefulness to the world. The amount of impurities mixed in the salt would affect its saltiness. Even for a disciple of Jesus it is very true. Here Jesus places a call for his disciples, "Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other.” Saltiness of a disciple of Jesus helps to be at peace with each other. 

APPLICATION: As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I am the salt of this world. My nature is to add tastes to the lives of people, to preserve things not to be corrupted by impure things. Being a salt to this world is not something I choose. It is God's gift. My life and the peace I experience and share with others would benefit the world.  It is for that very purpose that Jesus called me to be his disciple. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for your call to enrich the life of the people around me. My savior, help me to be at peace with all and protect me from any form of corruption that could defile me. May my life add flavors to the life of many people, for your glory. Amen.   

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: