Tuesday, March 30, 2021

A unique prologue of Luke

READ: Deuteronomy 25, 26; Psalm 89; Luke 1:1-38

SCRIPTURE: Luke 1:1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us,
2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word.
3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus,
4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

OBSERVATION: Luke gives a brief yet powerful introduction to the Gospel of Jesus which could stand as a valid evidence in any court of law. As we see here, Luke writes to Theophilus. There are divergent opinions about who this Theophilus was. In Greek, the word  "Theophilus" may refer "a friend of God", or "one who loves God", or "one who loved by God." Undoubtedly, the Gospel was written for us. But for what purpose? Luke explains precisely, "that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught." To achieve the stated purpose, he gives "an orderly account" that was "carefully investigated" by himself. Most importantly, Luke's sources of information were "eye witnesses and servants of the word."  The Gospel of Jesus was written shortly a few decades after the stated events, unlike any other ancient texts. For example,  imagine  that what would happen if somebody writes a fictitious book about a person who lived recently. His friends and enemies both would come against the author concerning the wrong depiction of the stated person. Isn't it! Luke presents the life history or biography of the unique person Jesus who is the savior of all the human beings. We can be sure and confident about what the Gospel says about Jesus!

APPLICATION: When I read the Gospel, I am not just reading the life story of a person who lived 2000 years ago. It is a carefully written document that presents the good news about the savior of the world. It is something that was written for me and for my spiritual needs. If so, how much care should I give to the Bible! It deserves my undivided attention. Everyday, I will read carefully to understand what God wants to speak through Jesus' words. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for sending your Son Jesus Christ to save the world. Thank you for the Gospel that liberates me from the worries of this life and prepares me to live with you eternally. As I read the good news of Jesus, help me to live like him as well. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: