Wednesday, March 17, 2021

What do you want?

READ: Numbers 35, 36; Psalm 76; Mark 10:32-52

SCRIPTURE: Mark 10:51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked (Bartimaeus) him. The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
52 “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.

OBSERVATION: The healing of the blind Bartimaeus is an interesting miracle that teaches us a lot. It is notable to see the name of the person who was healed, for the Gospel does not mention such names, generally.  Here, Jesus asks the same question he previously asked his disciples James and John, "What do you want me to do for you?”  Before Jesus asked his disciples, they came to him with a demand of "whatever we ask” (v.35). The blind Bartimaeus cannot come to Jesus without others' help. However, when he came to know that Jesus was passing on the road where he sat for begging, he cried out “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” It is surprising that in the Gospel of Mark, Bartimaeus was the only person who used the phrase "Son of David" for Jesus. His blindness was not a hindrance to recognize who the Messiah was! Notice the difference between the expectation of Jesus' disciples and Bartimaeus. Also look at the different answers to this question (see v.37, 51). When James and John were seeking for a high position, Bartimaeus replied, "Rabbi, I want to see." Here Jesus just asked to "GO" with an acknowledgement of Bartimaeus's faith. Jesus did not ask questions, like he did with his disciples. Interestingly, right after he received his sight, Bartimaeus followed Jesus. He must had received a vision to see Jesus clearly, a spiritual sight. 

APPLICATION: We can ask Jesus, anything we want. However, not everything will be appropriate. Sometimes, we may ask the right things in the wrong times. Jesus told that our heavenly father knows our every need, even before we ask him (Mt.6:8). When I  pray and seek God, I need  the sight to see what God has already prepared for us. When I ask humbly with love and accepting him as my lord and savior, he honors my faith in him. When I receive the required sight for me, I follow Jesus even more clearly and closely. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for answering our earnest prayers. However, help me to ask/pray according to your will, not on my desires. Rabbi, open my eyes  to see you clearly, and help me to follow you in my life.  Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: