Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Do not allow the old to remain

READ: Numbers 33, 34; Psalm 75; Mark 10:1-31

SCRIPTURE: Numbers 33: 55 “‘But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will become barbs in your eyes and thorns in your sides. They will give you trouble in the land where you will live. 56 And then I will do to you what I plan to do to them.’”

OBSERVATION: Here in Numbers 33:50-56, we see how God prepares all the Israelites to take possession of the promised land Canaan. While God instructed them regarding the settlement areas of each tribe and their boundaries, he warned them about to be cautious about the inhabitants of the land. God forewarned them that their idol worship and practices could become a trap against the Israelites' peaceful living in the promised land under God's rule. In the Exodus journey, we already saw that the non-Israelites' craving for other food (other than Manna)  resulted in a plague that killed many Israelites (Num.11:4, 33). God commanded Israelites to destroy anything related to the Canaanite idol worship and to drive away the Canaanites, as soon as the Israelites entered the promised land. If they were not removed, they would cause the Israelites to go away from the Lord. 

APPLICATION: Even in our spiritual life, how true it is! If I allow my old sinful nature, thoughts, habits, practices to reside in me, it would easily lead myself away from the Lord. They would wait for an opportunity to make me fall. In order to live a free life in Christ, I should not allow them to live in me. Rather, I should commit myself to God, and to offer every part of me to him as an instrument of righteousness. I know my old-self is crucified with Jesus (Rom.6). As I  live for Christ, I have no place for my old self. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your instruction for a peaceful and blessed life where you have placed me. Loving Lord, cover me with your grace so that nothing can separate me from you. Amen.   

- Arputharaj Samuel
 +91 9538328573

No comments: