Thursday, March 25, 2021

How lovely is the house of God!

READ: Deuteronomy 15, 16; Psalm 84; Mark 14:32-72

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 84:How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty!
2 My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
3 Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young—a place near your altar, Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
4. 
Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you

OBSERVATION: Psalm 84 is one of the pleasant Psalms that gives peace and delights to our heart. This psalm expresses the prayer of the psalmist who longs for the house of God. Notice the verb of the first verse.  The house of God IS lovely. Because it is (not it was, or it will be) the place  where God lives. So, naturally a god-fearing person would like to be there. As he yearns and reaches the house of God, he cries out for the living God. He says that the Lord who dwells in the house of God is the living God. Not only that, he sees even the sparrow and the swallow find a place to live in the house of God. God accepts all who come to him, he never rejects or drives away anyone who comes to him (John.6:37). Even a weakest and an unworthy person could find a resting place near God. Keep in mind that the person who welcomes, accepts, and gives space in this place is not an ordinary person. As the psalmist says, he is "Lord Almighty”, “King”, and “God." Then, the psalmist sees the blessedness of the people who live in the house of God  and what they do-they are praising God. The presence of the living God makes his people to praise him. 

APPLICATION: In the Old Testament times, every year all the males of Israel were to come before the Lord three times (Deut.16:16). However, there was no restriction to come everyday.  Those days, God's dwelling place refers a particular place. It was Jerusalem. Now, as long as I live, wherever I am, I can come to the living God everyday. God does not see my weaknesses and shortcomings. He makes me strong and protects me from any harm, as I live with him. The one who knows God and tasted his love would understand the value of living in God's house. S/he would praise God. 

PRAYER: God almighty, thank you for reminding me the blessedness of being with you. How lovely is your dwelling places! You are my King, and my God. Help me not to neglect the privilege and blessing of coming to you . May my passion and love for you increase day by day.  Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: