Thursday, April 15, 2021

A renewal of commitment to serve the Lord

READ: Joshua 23,24; Psalm 105; Luke 9:1-36

SCRIPTURE: Joshua 24: 15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve... But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.

OBSERVATION: The bible tells us about the final words of many great men of God. In Joshua 24, we see Joshua's final speech with the Israelites. After a brief recapitulation of what the Lord has done to the Israelites, Joshua challenged the people to serve the Lord. At that time, Israelites were living in the promised land, which God won for them. They did not need to go for any wars They could enjoy the harvest of the land they just received. The promised land was so fertile. As the Lord told, it was "a land flowing with milk and honey." Thereafter, Israelites would get everything they need. Joshua might had feared that the people may go away from the Lord, when they live in prosperity. While challenging the Israelites to serve the Lord, Joshua reaffirmed his commitment to serve the Lord along with his own family. When people responded by saying "we too will serve the Lord, because he is our God” (v.18), Joshua did not let them go immediately. Rather, he reminded them about who God was. Thus, Joshua led the Israelites to a renewal of their commitment to serve the Lord. Because, Israelites' possession of the promised land was an act of God. For Joshua, Israelites were to decide on whom they would serve. We too need the same commitment to serve the Lord. 

APPLICATION: Generally, people do not seek God desperately all the times, like they seek him in their times of need. I should remember God even when I have everything that I need. I must serve the Lord faithfully, at all the times. My God is the greatest blessing than all that I may have on this earth. So, I will serve the Lord. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for all the blessings in my life. Lord, you are sufficient to guide me always. Instead of keeping my eyes on the blessings, help me to fix my eyes on you to know more about you. I want to serve you, oh God! Help me to live as a faithful servant who obeys you always. Amen

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: