Saturday, April 24, 2021

How many will be saved?

READ: Judges 17,18; Psalm 114; Luke 13:18-35

SCRIPTURE: Luke 13: 23 Someone asked him (Jesus), “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them,
 24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.

OBSERVATION: Here we see a genuine question of a follower of Jesus. We also may have asked this question several times with the Lord, on different occasions. We know the biblical teaching that God wants all people to be saved. However, when we look at Jesus' answer here, it appears that instead of giving a straight forward answer, he tells something else. When we read this question in its the context, we understand that Jesus says about how to be saved. God is concerned about the quality of his people than the quantity of their numbers. Jesus' reference to the narrow door indicates about entering the kingdom of God through him. Jesus is " the way and the truth and the life" (Jn.14:6). 

Does the narrow door mean that only a few people will be saved? Jews had a common belief that only a few will be saved. Just before this question, Jesus told the people about the parables of the Mustard seeds and the Yeast, in which Jesus compared the Kingdom of God with the mustard seed and the yeast (Lk.13:18-21). This parable gives us a glimpse of the influence and impact of the Kingdom of God among the people. In verse 29, Jesus says many people will come from all corners of the world to participate in the feast of the Kingdom of God. Certainly many people will be saved. But the question is, am I ready to enter through the narrow door. 

APPLICATION: As a follower of Jesus Christ, my focus should be on entering through the door, not on counting the number of people. while I follow Christ, I must commit myself to deny my self and to carry the cross every day. When I allow God to work in my life so that God's kingdom to grow and to permeate the society, many people will know God and will come to the Kingdom of God. I will make every effort to follow Jesus diligently.

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for answering one of my heart questions. Lord, instead of choosing the broad road that leads to destruction, help me to take the narrow road that leads to life. May your Holy Spirit strengthen me to walk in your way. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: