Wednesday, April 14, 2021

"What is your name?" - A simple question that may reveal legion of things!

READ: Joshua 21,22; Psalm 104; Luke 8:26-56

SCRIPTURE: Luke 8: 30 Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” “Legion,” he replied, because many demons had gone into him.
31 And they begged Jesus repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss.

OBSERVATION: Here we see a man who was in a terrible condition of demon possession. He was uncontrollable by chains, as he was under the control of the demon. Though he was alive, he lived in tombs.  However, when he saw Jesus, all the control of the demon started to crumble  at Jesus' feet. When Jesus asked his name,  the demons that lived in him responded to Jesus. They had such a control over him. It was certainly not a single demon. There were legion of demons in him. In Roman army, the term legion would refer a division of 6000 men. This man was possessed by a large number of demons. All these demons were so afraid of Jesus. But, Jesus was concerned about the deliverance of the man. When the people of the area came to see what had happened, they saw  the same demon possessed man, "sitting at Jesus’ feet, dressed and in his right mind" (v.35). The man wanted to follow Jesus. But Jesus told the man to return to his home to testify what God has done to him. Interestingly, this man witnessed to the whole town about what Jesus did to him. 

APPLICATION: When somebody asks my name, how would it be if someone else gives an answer instead of me. If that unknown person lives in me and would speak forcefully behalf of me without my permission, certainly my life will be in a mess. Isn't it? The man we see in Luke 8 had many demons in him. I may not live in such a demon controlled life. However, at times, particularly when I am provoked to do something, or when I  face sinful temptations, I notice that instead of me, some things within me try to use the situation to take a control and to enslave me. It may be my anger or my bitter past experiences or my self or my weaknesses and so on. When things go out of control, I need to fell at the feet of Jesus. The number of things that disturbs me is not a matter to Jesus. There is no better place to deal such things than the feet of Jesus. When I sit with him, I find peace and the right mindset. I am with Jesus. I belong to Jesus. I will not live as a living dead, but will live as a living testimony of Jesus. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for delivering people from the control of demons. You are my savior. I live in your care. If any known or unknown things try to take the control of my life, help me to bring it to your feet. Thank you for giving me the peace that transcends all understanding. Lord Jesus, guard my heart and my thoughts. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: