Friday, April 9, 2021

The Forgiving God

READ: Joshua 11, 12; Psalm 99; Luke 6: 1-19

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 99: 8 Lord our God, you answered them; you were to Israel a forgiving God, though you punished their misdeeds

OBSERVATION: Psalm 99 says of the God who is holy, righteous, and Love. God shows his love by listening to our prayers and answering them. This psalm refers the names of the three great men of God who  prayed for the Israelites, and spoke with God. God answered their prayers. When we read Ps 99:8, it reminds us about God's self-revealing words to Moses when he passed in front of Moses (Exo.34:6,7). It was the time when Moses was praying for the sins committed by the Israelites concerning the Golden calf matter. God answers our prayers because he loves us. However, he disciplines us so that we may not fall again in the same matter we committed a sin against the Lord. It is like a punishment of a loving father/mother who wants to correct his/her children from their misdeeds. The Holy God who loves us establishes righteousness  among people by his rule. Take note of the repeated words in Psalm 99. The God who rules the heaven and earth keeps his relationship alive with his people.

APPLICATION: Some Christians have a wrong understanding that the God of Old Testament was an angry and jealous God. They may say that he was not always a loving God. However, the Bible clearly says that God is holy, love, and righteous. These three characteristics of God are eternal and inseparable from one another. I must have a clear idea of who my God is! The holy and righteous God is loving me. It is really an amazing grace! He showers his grace upon me by forgiving me. However, He wants me to realize my misdeeds and to repent from it. As the loving heavenly father, he confronts and corrects me whenever I go astray. With a clear understanding of God and his characteristics, I must live a life that pleases him. I have Jesus as my advocate with the Father (1 Jn.2:1). He is sufficient to protect me from any dangers of sin.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your love and grace that forgive me. Thank you for the word of God that help me to understand you and your love. Lord, help me to keep my relationship intact with you always as long as I live. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: