Sunday, April 11, 2021

An understanding of worthiness and authority

READ: Joshua 15, 16; Psalm 101; Luke 7:1-35

SCRIPTURE:   Luke 7: 6 So Jesus went with them. He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof.
7 That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed.
8 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

OBSERVATION: Here we see another instance that amazed Jesus. But this time, the faith of the Centurion amazed Jesus. In the earlier incident, we read that Jesus was amazed at the lack of faith of his hometown people (Mt.6:6). As compared to the brief account of Matthew, Luke gives more information about the Centurion story. It was a common practice in the ancient Middle East to send intermediaries to speak for someone. These mediators' words were considered as of the words of the person who sent them. In this Gospel narrative, particularly two things draw our attention. First, the Centurion had an understanding of his worthiness to come before Jesus. This explains the respect he had for Jesus and his unworthiness to stand in front of the Lord. This is possibly a reference of his moral and sinful state. He did not considered his high position in the Roman military, wealthy status, and his social acceptance as an eligibility to come before Jesus.  Secondly, and importantly, as a man of authority he had a better understanding of the power of Jesus’ words. He didn't even asked Jesus to heal his servant, but asked him to say the word. He believed the word of Jesus was powerful enough to heal his servant. This was a spectacular miracle that a person who was far away from Jesus received his healing by the power of his word. It was an unusual miracle!  We need to take a note of Centurion's understanding of his worthiness and the power of the word of an authority. Jesus' word has everything we need. It is powerful! 

APPLICATION:  When I ask myself a question that whether I am worthy to come before Jesus, I understand that I could come before Jesus only by his grace and love, not because of any merits I earned. My money, social status, and powerful position do not make me worthy to stand before the Holy God. When I humble myself, and confess my unworthiness to stand before God, HE sees it. When I understand the power of Jesus' words, I will see miracles in my life. My faith and the lack of my faith, both could amaze Jesus. I want Jesus to see the faith I have in him and in his words. 

PRAYER: Lord Jesus, thank you for helping me to understand my true state and the power of your words. You show no partiality with anyone. Help me to be humble and to seek your word for my life situations. Lord, say the word for my life. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: