Sunday, April 4, 2021

The man God disciplines

READ: Joshua 1, 2; Psalm 94; Luke 3: 21-38

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 94: 12 Blessed is the one you discipline, Lord, the one you teach from your law.

OBSERVATION: In Psalm 94, we read about two types of people and how the Lord disciplines them. The wicked people who do not fear God and do evil deeds are warned of the Lord's punishment. On the other hand, this psalm says of the blessedness of the righteous person who is disciplined by God (v.12-19) While the evil doers receive warnings about their punishment, God disciplines his people to correct them to live according to his word. He does this to help the person he disciplines to understand the scripture and to know what God wants to do with him/her. We should know that God disciplines us for our good (Heb.12:10). It may be unpleasant for a while until we understand God's intended purposes. Here is a reminder: when God disciplines us, he helps, supports, consoles, and send his relief. "For the Lord will not reject his people; he will never forsake his inheritance" (v.14). 

APPLICATION: When God disciplines me, instead of complaining about the difficulties, I should turn by attention to God’s word to know what changes he expects from me.  When God disciplines, he prunes and purifies me. I need to understand that God does this because he loves me. When I allow God to discipline me, how precious it would be! Having the best teacher on my side is the privilege of the Christian life. When I correct myself based on the Lord's teaching, I get a clear picture of his will for my life. 

PRAYER: Lord, you are the great teacher who helps your children to walk in your way, according to your word. You want me to be holy, like you. Oh my heavenly teacher, help me to understand your love, and give me wisdom to obey your words. Lord, help me today to be with you and to understand your words. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: