Sunday, April 25, 2021

God's not dead

READ: Judges 19-21; Psalm 115; Luke 14:1-24

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 115: 17 It is not the dead who praise the Lord, those who go down to the place of silence;
18 it is we who extol the Lord, both now and forevermore.

OBSERVATION: The last two verses of Psalm 115, although it appears to be disconnected from the other verses of the chapter, they  convey an important message to us.  In our present scenario, these verses are very relevant to us,  We all know that a dead person cannot do anything. Nobody can escape from the death. However, when we lose a person who is dear to us, many of us find it difficult to accept it. Some people started to question God and his existence. During such times, we may hear taunting questions from within and without. One good thing we can do about a dead person is to praise God for his/her life. A dead person cannot do it. Only we who are alive could praise God. Does it make sense? When the King  Hezekiah recovered from his deadly sickness, he also said something similar to these verses ( Isaiah 38:18,19). Our God is not dead, so we are alive. How about a person who is spiritually dead and lost his relationship with God? They also cannot praise God until they set their things straight before God. A person who is spiritually alive will praise God, "both now and forevermore," irrespective of  environments.

APPLICATION: When I face taunting questions that could shake my faith in God, I should remember that my God's not dead. I need to realize that I worship the living God who concerns for me. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Heb. 13:8). He says, " I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades" (Rev.1:18). Because he lives, I also will live (John 14:19).If I go through a spiritual dullness or when I find it difficult to praising God, I need to remember God. From my breathing to all that I have in this world, are from him.  "What shall I return to the Lord for all his goodness to me?"  As a living person, I will praise the Lord now and forever. 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for every blessing that you have given me.  Above all, you are my God. You are the everlasting father. God, help me to be thankful and to praise you as long as I live. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: