Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Are you happy today?

READ: 1 Samuel 1,2; Psalm 118; Luke 15:11-32

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 118: 24 The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad. 
25 Lord, save us! Lord, grant us success!

OBSERVATION: There are many interpretations for the Psalm 118. However, one common thing in all the interpretations is that this psalm was used as a thanksgiving song in Jewish prayers during their important festivals. Psalm 118 is a part  of "Egyptian Hallel," which consists of 6 psalms (Ps113-118) in Jewish liturgy. The psalmist remembers God's deliverance from his enemies and expresses his thanksgiving to the Lord. "This very day" in verse 24 alludes the day that God made the rejected stone as the cornerstone. God can make a person who is considered as unworthy to become an indispensable person. 

One thing that we need to remember everyday is "this is the day that the has made." Our situations, struggles, problems, jobs, positions etc. differ from one another.  Being happy today is very important for our life. When we remember God's past deliverance, we can thank God for today and be happy about it.  Our life situations will not be the same forever. God wants us to be happy everyday, irrespective of our life situation. Our rejoicing today is a prelude to our deliverance tomorrow. Our dependence on God keeps us happy, not our life-situations.

APPLICATION: God has done so many amazing things in my life. I thank God for his faithfulness to lift me up to the present situation. As the psalmist says, "I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done" (v.17). This  day, this minute, and even this very second I breathe are God-given gift to me. I cannot get it back, If I miss it. I may be unhappy about my past life, but I can be happy for today. Instead of looking at my present situation, when I remember God, I can be happy. The joy of the Lord is my strength. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your deliverance. Thank you for your enduring love. Help me to be happy today. Lord, you are the source of my joy and strength.  Help me to depend on you everyday. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: