Thursday, April 29, 2021

Signpost for the path of purity

READ: 1 Samuel 3,4; Psalm 119: 1-88; Luke 16:1-18

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 119: 9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

OBSERVATION: Psalm 119 is a meditational prayer that emphasizes the importance of the word of God in a person's life. Why the bible speaks of a young person's of purity? Does it mean that an old person is perfect and so he is not in a need of such purity? NO. As the proverb goes, "Bend the tree while it is young", or "A colt you may break, but an old horse you never can." We know it is easier to discipline and correct a younger person than an old person.  Proverbs 22:6 says, "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it." Getting the spiritual nourishment of the word of God  is essential for  a young person to stay in the path of purity. However, in his prayer (v.10, 11), the psalmist infers that it is applicable to him and all who read it.

 Here we see two important instructions to keep ourselves pure. A half-hearted effort would not give the desired result. Sometimes, we seek God according to to our convenience or as we like it. As the psalmist says, we need to seek God with all of our heart. Further, he says of his preventive act to protect himself from sinning against God. He kept God's word in his heart. In other words, he stored God's promises within his heart. God's word that  is treasured up in a person's heart would correct him/her, whenever s/he goes against God.

APPLICATION: God's word has the power to protect me from sinful temptations, addictions, and sensual desires. In the present world, with the latest mobile phones, computers and technologies many sinful activities are near to us than ever before. However, God's word in my heart is even more closer to prevent me sinning against God. There are many ways to impurities. Even a person's self-discipline does not long last. But God's word never fails to do its job. Regardless of a person's age, race, ethnicity, and nationality, s/he can walk in the path of purity with the help of God's word. All I need to get this is to seek God with all of my heart and storing his promises within my heart.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you this signpost to walk in the path of purity. Help me to remember it always and to practice it every day. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: